Cob: nc cobbers and codes

phil phawn1 at excite.com
Thu Jan 23 11:46:15 CST 2003

I too live in North Carolina, outside Banner Elk at about 3600'.

I first read about cob 5 years ago in an issue of Mother Earth News and thought it was a bit eccentric as far as building a house. At the time I lived in a victorian house (circa 1885) located in Dayton, OH and was concentrating on standard building methods that were exceptable in a historic district. Now, though, I've moved back to the mountains of NC and have land on which to build and cob has come back to my attention.

I've spent the last two months lurking on this list and reading the archives to have a better basis on which to design a house. I've also been contacting people that may be able to help such as the applied technology department at Appalachian State Uni., Kleiworks, Appropriate Building Solutions (http://www.buildsustainable.com/pages/945693/index.htm?gen_time=1032198701940)
and other people who are basiscally renegade building.

There are numerous code questions to be answered here in Avery County since no one to my knowledge has built a cob house here before. My plan is to put together an educational packet of information that will help me educate the building inspector without alienating him. Part of this plan is to build a small barn for the goats in my future as a kind of example and as a practice piece to help educate me. My soil appears to have the right clay and sand content once I have dug down a few feet so I'm going to try a few more tests first.

One question I have right now is about the use of rock in the cob wall. Here in Avery county we are filthly with rock of all sizes. You can't dig without finding large stones. Obviously I would want to use stone in my foundation and knee wall but what about using it in the wall proper to lessen the amount of cob needed with which to build. Would this present structural problems?

Thanks for patience during this long introduction.

Phil Hawn