Cob: Re: Interior Walls -- Seismic Construction

Robert S. Cascaddan scaddan at pacifier.com
Sat Jan 25 12:24:30 CST 2003

> Interior walls need not be as thick, unless they are going to be weight bearing for the roof or a loft or such.

Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that for correct seismic design, the interior walls should be as wide, or at least almost as wide as the exterior walls.  There are two reasons for this:  1)  The interior walls help support the exterior walls and will be unable to do so if they are weaker.  2)  Massive construction allows the walls to resist seismic forces in an earthquake and keep from falling over.

Robert S. Cascaddan, MBA
scaddan at pacifier.com

Author of:
Revolutionary Changes Ahead for Motorcycling
http://home.pacifier.com/~scaddan/

Articles:
"Disruptive Technology = Revolutionary Changes"  http://home.pacifier.com/~scaddan/disruptive.htm

"Attracting a New Generation of Riders to the Sport of Motorcycling"  http://home.pacifier.com/~scaddan/new_riders.htm