Cob:

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 25 09:53:38 CST 2003

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Cat here,  The foundation must be below the frost line this means you dig in deep enough so that the ground no longer freezes, that is to keep your foundation from moving, cold and heat cause expansion, contraction, so each location will have a different frost line.  Ask a local contractor.  That's why water pipes below a certain level don't freeze.  Above the ground level is the knee wall part of your foundation.  This is called a knee wall because it is about as high as your knee.  18"-20" This is for a few reasons first it keeps the cob dry from rain bouncing up off the ground and eroding it.  I have a friend that made her wall of block and only went up 2 blocks to save money.  The splash is degrading her wood and rotting the sill.  The other reason is termites, for what ever reason they will only go so high for a meal and then they give up.  This is not an issue with cob, but may be with a timber frame waddle and daub ( spelling may be wrong on that one) who was the clown that made me paranoid about my spelling anyway?  </P></DIV>
<P>I can not over emphasize the value of building a little model on the kitchen table with the kids!!  Take some time, do it with little stones and clay and learn as you go, and blow it away if it gets stale, change it, let it take on a character of it's own and it will build your confidence too.  </P></DIV>
<P>Interior walls need not be as thick, unless they are going to be weight bearing for the roof or a loft or such.  Another reason would be for sound proofing.  a home theater space may want a nice thick wall around it to keep the rest of the house from enjoying the action flick with the kids!!  But how thick that would need to be I don't know??  Also investigate screens and moving walls.  These can allow a space to be open and flowing or reduced for privacy.  The best examples of this I have come across are in Japanese traditional buildings.  I have a book on loan that I will share with the list as soon as I can wrench it out of the hands of the borrower!!!  It has much to offer in how to think about what we are doing past the nuts and bolts.  </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Check out   <A href="http://www.cpros.com/~sequoia">http://www.cpros.com/~sequoia</A>  or contact Groundworks PO. Box 381, Murphy, OR. 97533.  Becky Bee has a wonderful book that has become my building bible.  In spite of a library of building Data and architectural manuals, this is the one I go to most often.  She also offers design consulting.  She signed my copy!!!  you can also e her and the group @ <A href="mailto:cobalot at hotmail.com">cobalot at hotmail.com</A>  </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Let me know if these sites are still valid, and how your getting on with it!  </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><EM>for the good of all </EM>Cat  </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><BR><BR> </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: "Jill hotmail" <WRITEJILL at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: "Jill hotmail" <WRITEJILL at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To: "cob list" <COBLIST at DEATECH.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Cob:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:47:28 -0800
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>1. Are interior wall just as wide as exterior walls?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>2. Does anyone know an architect that can take our floorplan drawing and create plans? We want to be sure to avoid costly mistakes, and we have no experience building a house.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>3. What about air exchange to prevent moisture build up? (My family built a house - stick house - and forgot about this, and now the upstairs walls are peeling)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>4. You make the foundation higher than the frost line by how much?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>-jill
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>