Cob: two story cob

W uwu at angelfire.com
Sun Jan 26 04:42:08 CST 2003

Hi Marsha,
  I have seen pics of 10 story "earthen walled" buildings from the middle east - I believe in Afghanistan?  The thickness of the wall at the base of the building was about 12 feet (~4 meters) thick (meaning long corridor entryway), tapering up on the exterior.  The rooms inside were the same size on each floor i think, only the outside tapered inwards towards the top to appx 2ft thick.  The ends of the joists for each floor were visible from the outside, and windows were small, especially on the lower floors.
  From what I understand, the material used was basically a sand/clay mix with just a little straw, although I think animal dung was an ingredient.  All built by hand and animal.
  I also participated in a workshop on Mayne Is., BC, in which we built a two-story load-bearing home, the base being around 2 ft thick, and I believe the upstairs ended up with a wall thickness of 10 to 14 inches. ( http://www.cobworks.com/ -follow the "photos" link to the "Cob houses on Mayne Island" link).(the balcony is supported by the floor joists from the interior extending out past the exterior)(and those stairs- yet another engineering/artistic feat of Patrick Hennebery!)
  I would venture to say yes, two-story "traditional" English cob would be quite feasible, just keep the walls thicker on the bottom (for strength) and the cob on top thinner (for weight).  However, this may double or more build time on the first story, in order to build the thicker wall.  I'm not sure how the traditional two-story English cob houses were built, though I'm sure somebody here knows...
:)
---
\\/.

"We certainly want to reduce the level of terror...there is one easy
way to do that...stop participating in it." - Noam Chomsky
---
This email address and other personal information is not available for commercial use of any kind, including but not limited to: sale, trade, share, rent or any other form of exchange.