Cob:

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 27 12:09:38 CST 2003

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV></DIV>
<P>Cat here,   Wow!!  this is grist for my mill, Ok The fire places could be put on an inside wall to the MBR porch to allow the porch area to be closed in in the winter and retain heat generated in the wall from the fire.  This porch also could have a FP for outdoor enjoyment, hot tub, ect.  Look into masonry stoves, and some of the tall south  western styles.  Also some of the multiple FP that were developed by the early Americans that were built in the center of the house and several chimneys. </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>The kitchen is rather a long walk (without knowing the scale) from the garage-  is this important?  To keep the design you may want to have a rolling cart to bring groceries, wood, and such, integrated into your plan.  That would be one way to get the kids to help with the chores!!  Think big bumpers on that cart!!!</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>I see opportunities for adding rooms!  was this intended?  If so add them into a projected complete design so that you will be prepared when the time comes with foundation wall extensions to bite into.  </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>You may want to consider a pantry to the north side of your kitchen.  The old fashioned pantry or milk room in a house was to the north to take advantage of the lower tempetures.  This will allow for fewer upper cabinets in the kitchen.  less standing on stools, scrambling around behind stuff and more sunny windows overlooking your garden.  Upper cabinets also create a closed in feeling in a kitchen that I personally find oppressive.  I design and build kitchens and find that most upper cabinets past shelf no. 1 if your short , and shelf no. 2 if your tall are rather useless.  A busy efficient kitchen that is a pleasure to use is finger tip accessible.  The fridge that is by far the most cumbersome appliance  can be flush and unobtrusive by using the pantry wall to absorb the extra inches.  Cut out all your proposed furnishings and appliances and place them on your floor plan.  You will not get all the bugs out but you won't end up with the frig not opening fully because the door is hitting the stove!!  No kidding I was doing a media wall  installation and that was the situation in the kitchen of a 2million + home.  </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>I like the mud room away from the living areas.  Storage here for winter clothes might be good to take into consideration also since it lives on what is the south side moisture will be easier to deal with.  goog thinking!!</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Good set up for future dinning room, play room, study between main room and kitchen!!!  Whatever you plan place the furnishings to determine the size.  It's lousy to hit your cue stick on the wall when your you had the winning shot!</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Long hall Magnificent!!!  This may be wider with much glass sliders with cob wall behind solar passive collection?  Green house Gallery for winter veggies and herbs?  Removable panels on the roof of the gallery porch will allow winter sun to enter.  Tile floor for solar gain, possible floor heat system, water, electric, air.     Beautiful design!!</P>
<P><EM>for the good of all </EM>Cat</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P> </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>>From: "Amanda Peck" <AP615 at HOTMAIL.COM></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: "Amanda Peck" <AP615 at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To: writejill at hotmail.com, coblist at deatech.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Re: Cob:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 23:31:46 -0600
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>You've avoided one of my pet peeves, having to go through the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>kitchen to get to a bedroom (or bathroom, by the way). I like the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>idea of being able to open up rooms to the outside.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>When you're building a stick house, you can frequently get by not
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>worrying about the width of the walls. But cob--or straw bale--is
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>another story. That two feet or so wall width can make a dramatic
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>difference in the size of things like u-shaped porches and the basic
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>appearance of a house with long narrow sections.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Long narrow sections also add to the length of foundation and wall
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>you are going to have to build. You could stick-build, or even do
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>some sort of pole barn construction for those long hallways.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>I woke up the other morning--having been quite warm in my
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>comforter--to find ice in the dogs' water dish. And a friend closer
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>to the highway has gotten up to shattered frozen pipes twice this
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>winter. Neither of us have cob--poorly insulated travel trailer
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>that I didn't get around to setting straw bales around the bottom
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>edge, a basically uninsulated old house, but we're better than a
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>hundred miles south of anywhere in Kentucky. Make sure that there's
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>heat in your kitchen, and the pipes are insulated, protected against
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>freezing, and not going to ruin your walls if the worst does happen.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Jill wants comments on her floor plan on this web site:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>www.on-callnurses.com/cob.htm
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>_________________________________________________________________
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail