Cob:

Grei Raven Shadow Walker greyraven_r at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 27 13:06:38 CST 2003

Between R38 and R60 depending on the size of bales you
use and which way they are laid in the wall.
--- Meagan McAleese <useful_fish at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Jill,
> Straw bales work so well because of the bale. Loose
> straw is a fire hazard,
> while the compaction of the bale renders it nearly
> fire proof. I'm not sure
> of the insulation value but I would assume that the
> bale improves this as
> well. (My bit off off-topic material)
> A note on your house design. The perimeter of the
> house (Exterior walls) is
> what costs money. Extra square feet of roof is minor
> compared to an extra
> feet of exterior wall. The first thing I notice
> about your house plans is a
> phenomenal amount of perimeter. Yes, Cob is 'dirt'
> cheap but still, wouldn't
> you get a whole lot more square footage for the same
> price if you made it
> square, or even better, round??
>

> Jill wrote: "Do you just tear up the straw bales and
> put in a layer? Or do
> you need to keep them in the bale form for some
> reason?

> MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months
> FREE*

=====
"When I look into the abyss it stares back at me, but not as the cold
dark beast you perceive it to be.
When I am gazed upon by the abyss I see the eyes of a mother, a lover, an old friend.
When I look into the warm familiar eyes of the abyss I see that which
needs me as much as I have need.
I remember, I rejoice, I renew!"
by Grei R. S. Walker, '01