Cob: large openings in walls, cob included

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 28 10:09:50 CST 2003

Darel reminded us of these guys.  Thank you.

Jill is contemplating a large opening to turn her kitchen from cozy in the
winter to expansive in the summer.

This option does require a (ferrocement?) dome both for strength and
clearance on the upper reaches.  And something on the order of an awning or
porch roof so that rain cannot fall straight down and into the kitchen. I
for one would want it screened.  AND sealing on the bottom (sides?) may not
be up to household standards. Oh, yes, AND it might be difficult to put
glazing in this.  And a few other things.

All of which doesn't mean it's not a lovely efficient idea that I'm thinking
about myself.  I do tend to see--look for--problems.

http://www.monolithicdome.com/gallery/commercial/hangar_door/index.html