Cob: Hi, I'm new, and I want to build a cob bathhouse!

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 28 14:31:52 CST 2003

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV></DIV>
<P>Cat here!  Groundwork's is the group to hook up with they are in OR. and could give you a big boost about code issues  The book I found most useful is the Cob Builders Handbook by Becky Bee.  <A href="http://www,cpris,cin/~sequoia">http://www,cpris,cin/~sequoia</A>  or  write Groundworks PO Box 381 Murphy, OR 97533.  Then if you have wee ones this is a great time after you read the book to get down and make a little model on the kitchen table of living room floor.  If you will be home schooling this is a fabulous way to integrate, art, sculpture, math, physics, natural science, history, creative thinking, reading and just plain fun.  It can be good to leave the model out for all in the family to make modifications when spirit moves them unless you have a clay eater!!   Beckys' book has lots of illustrations.  Check the archives of this list lots of good stuff!!  Welcome!!!</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><EM>for the good of all </EM>Cat <BR><BR></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: "loving mama" <LOVINGMAMAJOY at MSN.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: "loving mama" <LOVINGMAMAJOY at MSN.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To: <COBLIST at DEATECH.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Cob: Hi, I'm new, and I want to build a cob bathhouse!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 23:00:23 -0800
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Hi, everyone, I think I sent my message to the wrong addy, so here goes again!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>I've been lurking a bit and I hope you all can help me out. The dream I've had for a few years now is to build my Oregon Cob dream-house near Portland, OR, and do the permaculture thing and live off the grid. However, I have 2 kids under 4, and was a single mom until just last month, so this dream has largely lived only in my head, though I have been learning to garden. I think it will be about 5 years before dh, the kids and I can start to really work on it.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>So, what we need help with is learning the basics. Our schedules and the children make it nearly impossible to attend a workshop, so we'd like to conduct our own, in our back yard, in the middle of the city! I want to learn how to make a greywater system, and we would like a bathhouse, so we're thinking of doing an Oregon Cob bathhouse. Is this a good choice of project? What would it take financially and time wise? Which books should we read for the best information and practical help? What is the first step? Must I obtain city permits for the whole project or just the plumbing and wiring? Must I obtain permits for that stuff if it is not using city resources?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Thanks so much in advance, I'm looking forward to getting to know you!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>