Cob: RE:Jill's questions

Patricia L. MacKenzie ruanmackenzie at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 29 15:24:32 CST 2003

<P>>>>>...>Remember that plumbing and wiring have to be planned in from the </P>
<P>>beginning. The latter is the one thing that will almost certainly </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>>have to be inspected. Find an electrician, talk to your local </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>>utility EARLY. It’s not like wiring a stick house, where you can </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>>change your mind up to the point that the drywall is put in. </P>
<P>My comment: neighbors in my old neighborhood had their house put back up to electrical code. Instead of rewiring through the wall (too expensive for their SS payment, what with drywall, insulation, etc.), the upgraded wiring was run through conduit to the outlets from the fuse box - the only place the wiring ran through the walls. I BET this is legal.<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>>>>....Also, consider
<DIV></DIV>>that a DRAFTSMAN might be able to draw up your plans a good deal
<DIV></DIV>
<P>>more cheaply..... </P>
<P>My comment: good suggestion. I had drafting in local community college and would consider doing my own plans anyway. </P>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>>>>....3) Cob will take care of at least some of the moisture management.
<DIV></DIV>>You will probably want windows that open in the spring and fall--if
<DIV></DIV>>not summer, air intake for the fireplace or wood stove, maybe
<DIV></DIV>>something on the order of an air-to-air heat exchanger. But those
<DIV></DIV>>goodies are expensive, and require (full-time?) electricity. I
<DIV></DIV>
<P>>suspect that one can improvise them, but I’ve never seen one. </P>
<P>My comment: here I go again with the Mother Earth News. Forgive me. One of the old back issues (try a library, I think it was 1970's era) showed or listed an air to air exchanger and how to build one. Maybe the 1980's? </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>