Cob: air exchanger in cob house..was Jills Q

Charmaine tms at northcoast.com
Wed Jan 29 15:57:41 CST 2003

Hi Jil & /Patricia..I will see if I can find the TMEN artricle I dont
have all the old issues, but many many of them
But as one suggestion...almost OVERLY simple is that Kelly Hart who
built an earthbag home used  a simple plastic conduit pioe ( it could be
anyother material too), that passed thru between bags of the wall and in
summer they leave it open for air.  In cold/rain weather they simply
used a child's blow up ball ( smaller than soccer ball) stuffed into the
"porthole" tube, then a string ot short stick attached to it to pull the
ball  out again. A screen on the end of the pipe prevents critters from
entering.

While this would be a PROBEM in rainy Pac NW. from the way Kelly did it.
  I would simply ALTER the angle of the pipe to be  downward thru the
cob to Outside, and maybe cob in a cute little recycled wood shingle
over the porthole as an eyebrow rain shield...sounds cute as heck to
me...and HEY I know where you can get the best,  "thick butt cut"
redwood shakes  that have been reycled.

Woman here in town  saved about a billion of them when they came off the
local college roof and were headed for landfill. Bless her heart,
 bought a bunch and used them  myself for one wall of the house, and
will use the rest to make a retro groovey 70's back to the land
doghouse..hahaha

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    http://www.papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Cutten (Eureka) CA 95534
707-441-1632     tms at northcoast.com