Cob: Comments to several on list.

Mike mswink77 at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 29 18:12:10 CST 2003

Suggest some do searchs on the following.

Russian mass fireplaces once heated will retain and capture much of the heat.

One friend of mine bought a combo outdoor furnace which either circulates water or air to house.

{I think there is plans on the web for outdoor fire chambers and you just buy guts and then house them.}
{Do search on  a webferret or dogpile and msn}

He uses solar and when it goes below a certain tempature the furnace comes on and supplies house with addition heat.
Since the source of heat is totally seperate from that which is circulated in home. This provides max-protection from fire.
He leaves firewood in chamber and when needed the furnace lights and starts fire. It then switchs to propane gas.
He did something Which might need some creative thinking. But his chamber is located lower than the house foundation.
This allowed water to flow down to chamber by gravity and if pump could not come on due to power failure it circulates the water by heat natural ablity to flow upward and cool water down. Or think of water is like a battery cold is negative. warm is positive.

Johnson Stoves are just one example and this is not a suggestion but an example of what they my look like.
My friend bricked his with thermal mass.
http://www.hud-son.com/woodfurnaces.htm

Underground Cob Home.
I have real fears over this one. I know of root cellars that were built with logs and lasted 50+ years. But you must get an professional to give you stress factors from weight to lateral pressures that exist from ground water to just weight that increases over time from settlement and changes in weather that sometimes give much more rain or snow that normal.