Cob: Thermal mass works, PAHS works, Insulation works

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 31 08:02:18 CST 2003

The three house types--heavily insulated, passive solar thermal mass, PAHS,
might each have their place, work better under different conditions.  Not
all appropriate for everywhere.  No matter how much we hope they'd be.

Yeah, my friends would laugh at you.  They tend to laugh at everyone who
isn't them.  Oh, well.  They do have their good points.

And the community center in question is mostly stick-built, not much
insulation, not much solar gain, partly up on stilts with the underside
open.  It houses a shower, washing machine, ping-pong table, and a kitchen
with a large dining room.  And it's inhabited for maybe 9 hours a week.
Built by a committee on a tight budget back in the 70's.  The weekly dinner
is the big event there.  I'm a guest member.

Using this as an example. Yes, we would care if, five or six months out of
the year, it took two or three days to get the place warmed up enough to
have a pot-luck dinner there.  It works better for that purpose to be able
to come in, start a fire in one or both wood stoves and have the place
comfortable within half an hour.

PAHS in our rocky soil?  trying to dig down through little rocks, big rocks,
Great Dane sized boulders, rock ledges?  With backhoe guys that don't show
up for six months?  I'm not going to do it.  If I were to move back to the
Sandhills of North Carolina I might try.