Cob: "Ianto says..."

Mark Piepkorn duckchow at potkettleblack.com
Fri Jan 31 15:44:16 CST 2003

At 10:48 PM 1/30/2003, Amanda Peck wrote:
>... IANTO SAYS ...

         I laugh every time she does that.

         Don't get me wrong -- I like Ianto, even when he sometimes gets
overbearing and paternal... like an overbearing, paternal elf-man. He's a
funny guy, and his heart's in the right place, and he's married to a really
wonderful person, Linda. The contribution they've made together to natural
building is incalculable; though if it hadn't been them, I think it would
have been someone else. Michael Smith is no slouch, either. I've never had
the pleasure of meeting Becky Bee, but I've heard good things. I do know
Kiko Denzer.

         But it's still really funny when Amanda does that "Ianto says" thing.

         Most excellent of all about Ianto is the outspoken hardline
deconsumerism jag he's been on for a good while now.

*

         When The Hand-Sculpted House came out a few months ago, Chelsea
Green sent me a review copy. From the subsequent review:

         "The first exhilarating hundred-plus pages of the book gush up
with the sort of ardor that inspires singing, dancing, and ecstatic visions
(and thence, proselytizing). There's a lot of wonderful stuff in here,
steeped in the spirit of a gentle, often giddy, anarchy -- the same sort of
wholesome energy and joy shared by initiates of strawbale, timber framing,
straw-clay, earthbags, and all. It's not just a cob thing: it's a natural
building thing. And, like nature, this kind of passion is all over the map:
sometimes inspiring and delightful, sometimes downright breathtaking... and
sometimes perplexing and capricious.
         "The factual and subjective come together in Part 1. Tricky,
perhaps, but this is the part harboring the most and best reasons to dive
in. It's easy, and really fun, to allow yourself to get swept up, to follow
the sizzle. Go for it! Then re-read it later, with your most cheerfully
cynical and intelligently skeptical thinking cap on... which, as far as
natural building books go, is a good idea as a rule."

         What I didn't write about were things like where the book
instructs to not destroy something nice, like a stream, by building next to
it -- but then two pages later recommends building tight up against a tree
or... running water.

         I didn't mention how it proves the cold-weather appropriateness of
cob by citing that Cottage Grove, Oregon, has winter weather with
"temperatures that dropped several times to 0F, and snowfalls up to
eighteen inches" (including an impressive-looking chart that's completely
out of context, rendering it as good as worthless) -- but then fifty pages
later, another anecdote relates that the outside January temperature on one
chilly day was a positively balmy 64F -- and a couple pages after that,
it's revealed that "frozen ground is almost unknown here."

         I didn't ruminate on the Heart House being heated with just one
cord of wood over the winter, despite not being all that impressed with the
preceding composite description of their winter wonderland -- or fact that
the cord of wood (which is a solid pile of cut logs measuring, in feet,
4x4x8) was actually heating only 120 "round" feet (which is the same
footprint as a 10'x12' shed).

         I didn't delve into the twice-made comparison that the Heart House
was a $500 project, versus the suggested near-impossibility of building a
wood-frame house for less than $30,000 -- though I suspect I could build a
120-round-foot stick-frame house without running water or toilet facilities
for something quite less than $30,000.

         I didn't point out that the Heart House doesn't have running water
or toilet facilities.

         I went nowhere near the notion that the sky is 360 moons around.

         I didn't comment on the fact that the Wallasey Solar School relies
on well-insulated mass, and not just mass.

         These things and more were the sorts of things behind my statement
to "re-read it later, with your most cheerfully cynical and intelligently
skeptical thinking cap on... which, as far as natural building books go, is
a good idea as a rule." They were things I consider significant oversights,
misleads, even flaws... but I just couldn't bring myself to point them out
to potential cob neophytes -- because I felt there was a greater good at
work because of the many, many other important ideas involved. I'm still
not sure if I did a disservice to the readers of that review or not.

         I do wish there'd been a bit more cohesion, and frankly expected
the book to be a bit more "grounded." I think Becky Bee's is an excellent
mixture of straight-ahead sensibility and moving inspiration. And her hot
tub book is a hoot.

*

         Having said these things now, I do feel better. Thing is, I still
strongly believe that anybody serious about cob really must read The
Hand-Sculpted House. And Becky Bee's. And Michael Smith's earlier one,
because there's things in that older volume that aren't in this one. And
the unusual Natural Builder series by Steve Berlant (
http://www.thenaturalbuilder.com ). And from there, move on to the more
arcane literature...