Cob: indoor/outdoorkit/rammedvscob

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 31 12:28:32 CST 2003

<DIV></DIV>
<P>Cat here,  Disclamer:  lost everything to send this just to Jill had to send to list </P>
<P>Found one company that makes the sliding door hardware that I told </P>
<DIV></DIV>you about. Waiting for a spec sheet by fax. They have a system that is
<DIV></DIV>security and weather sealed for out door use. The tec. did say that an awning
<DIV></DIV>or porch is always advisable over any door. The rough guestimate on a 12'
<DIV></DIV>system would be $2,500-$2,700. That is the hardware, locks and seals, the
<DIV></DIV>doors themselves would then need to be fabricated. This is a good thing because
<DIV></DIV>you can go to insulated glass in stainless frames or wood frames of your
<DIV></DIV>dimensions depending on the look you want to achieve. I will know more when I
<DIV></DIV>get the fax. If you elect to go with a rammed earth construction, it would
<DIV></DIV>seem that you will need to enlist the full service of a contractor who has the
<DIV></DIV>equipment so this person would be able to get the hardware for you. The system
<DIV></DIV>is called the HAWA/10 (Hafele) their architectural products dept.
<DIV></DIV>1-800-437-7477.
<DIV></DIV>Rammed earth is a construction method. Cob building for me
<DIV></DIV>is more than an aesthetic, it is a process. To have a bunch of disinterested
<DIV></DIV>generic workers and noisy machines tromping all over my landscape getting it
<DIV></DIV>done to the rhythm of the banks whip is not why I got involved with it. My
<DIV></DIV>whole life for the last 12 years has been "dead lines" Think about that,
<DIV></DIV>Dead..........Lines. That stare back at me from my drafting table!! I don't
<DIV></DIV>want to rent my home from the bank for 30. Cob building gives me back my
<DIV></DIV>freedom and power as a creative individual and incorporates the gentle art of
<DIV></DIV>community that has been suppressed in our society, for the worship of the Oh
<DIV></DIV>Holy Buck. It is slow, yes. It is laborious, yes. It is thoughtful, yes. It
<DIV></DIV>is a risk, yes yes. Will I be able to do it!??? I don't know? But when I
<DIV></DIV>went up this morning to stand in the circumference of our little cob foundation
<DIV></DIV>and pushed my fingers against the clay and found it holding firmly, I was
<DIV></DIV>quiet. (as some of you may have noticed, quiet for me is a near miracle!!)
<DIV></DIV>This is what building my own house with my own hands with my family and friends
<DIV></DIV>and anyone else that gets the passion is about for me.
<DIV></DIV>Sorry for the off
<DIV></DIV>subject romanticizem but be patient with me, when the weather lets me out of here you won't here a
<DIV></DIV>peep till winter!! grinn
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>