Cob: Flooring thoughts

jen walker jwalker at magma.ca
Fri Jan 31 19:23:24 CST 2003

Hello out there,
about flooring. I read once that brick on sand was a good type of flooring
if one were putting pipes beneath that may need maintenance from time to
time 'cause you could just knock out a few bricks whereas with concrete
there'd be major difficulties and need of a jackhammer. Even granite
depending on how big the slabs were could be troublesome I imagine. We are
thinking of doing a strawbale insulated concrete floating slab for a
foundation (I don't relish the idea of so much concrete but digging a 6 ft
plus trench would sure have a major impact on a site also) and was wondering
how one might lay a sand/brick floor with pipes between concrete sub floor
and brick main floor. Can sand be tamped well enough that the bricks &
mortar wouldn't slip out of place. Would some sort of floor joist system be
required? The brick idea has lots of room for neat geometric designs also
and I bet old bricks could be easily found for cheap.

Thanks a bunch,
Jen in the great white nearly north.