Cob: tra cotta pipes,insul

Grei Raven Shadow Walker greyraven_r at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 31 12:53:07 CST 2003

That was me, consider it this way, the cob is a heat
(or cold) sink, the insulation is a heat (or cold)
break, you want the sink on the side of the break that
you want to maintain. If the insulation protects the
cob from the outside temperature, then the cob will
act as a sink for the inside of the house...but if the
insulation separates the cob from the inside
temperature, then the cob will adjust to the outside
temperature. Either process is a gradual aclimation,
however, your thermal mass is wasted (and no longer a
useable resource) if the insulation is on the
interior.

--- Yun Que <yunk88 at hotmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

   Did some one say something some time back that
insulation is more effective with thermal mass if it
is on the outside wall than on the inside of the
house???

=====
"When I look into the abyss it stares back at me, but not as the cold
dark beast you perceive it to be.
When I am gazed upon by the abyss I see the eyes of a mother, a lover, an old friend.
When I look into the warm familiar eyes of the abyss I see that which
needs me as much as I have need.
I remember, I rejoice, I renew!"
by Grei R. S. Walker, '01