Cob: tra cotta pipes,insul

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 31 19:47:16 CST 2003

If you were to do the passive solar bit, south-facing windows, with enough
of an overhang (or awnings, or arbor) to be sheltered in the summer,
possibly with the windows screened in the summer, opened only enough that
the rain is extremely unlikely to come in, then the building might be
comfortable all year.

A variant of the rocket stove has the firebox and the main air intake
outside the building (under the aforementioned overhang), channels in a cob
bench across the inside, a chimney up on the other side.  Kind of like the
roman floor system.  Burn fast and hot to heat up the bench, then the room
stays OK for a good long while. Bunches of places to look for advice--Becky
Bee on the hot tub, Hand sculpted house, Charmaine Taylor has I think some
other sources.

More or less what I am planning for a tiny "office" in the tractor's garage.

Cat wonders about a cold kitty in a tiny cob building in the winter, not to
mention an overheated one in the summer.