Cob: sandy digging and Kentucky future

Jill hotmail writejill at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 1 23:08:04 CST 2003

I am practicing cob building in my southern California location. I am about 5 miles from the beach, hence all the sand. I went to buy some clay-soil from Home Depot (since I don't need but a bag to practice my model building with) and was told that there was clay under the sand.
Well the kids totally got into digging a hole in my back yard, and it is now about 4 feet down. No clay, all sand.
Today, I am going to either 1. get some clay from the beach (at the shoreline there is clay under the sane after a few inches, I THINK) or 2. go take a look at some of the building sites around here, the construction around here is everywhere.

There is land for sale here, and actually not that bad on price considering. The problem is, it is all "city limits" and subject to the codes, or lack of. We just assume we will have better luck elsewhere. Kentucky seems a logical choice based on cost of living and because it is centrally located to several metro areas. My husband's job is automatic fire sprinkler systems (union) and that would make a lot of work available to him. What do you think?
-jill