Cob: sandy digging and Kentucky future

PJ Benet-Davis pjb at quinnemanuel.com
Mon Feb 3 10:52:11 CST 2003

Jill,
Have you tried finding someplace further inland?  There are some nice areas around Julien and Santa Ysabel.  I have no idea of the land values in the area but used to go to see a weaver located in Santa Ysabel.  If I am not mistaken, one of her neighbors was a realty office.  Also, Eastern San Diego County is quite rugged and there are people in the area who have done the clay fired houses that were being touted about 15 years ago by a local (SoCal) professor from, I believe, Arabia.  He has at least one book out on the subject.  Evidently you build the small domed structure and subject it to a fierce fire.  This cooks the clay/dirt and renders it impermiable to rain, etc.  I have seen some of these on the internet but, they are quite small.  One of the things you would have going for you is that even through it seems to be in the back of beyond, you still have wonderful medical services, good climate (that you are already used to), and a good area to make a living.

>>> "Jill hotmail" <writejill at hotmail.com> 02/01/03 09:08PM >>>
I am practicing cob building in my southern California location. I am about 5 miles from the beach, hence all the sand. I went to buy some clay-soil from Home Depot (since I don't need but a bag to practice my model building with) and was told that there was clay under the sand.
Well the kids totally got into digging a hole in my back yard, and it is now about 4 feet down. No clay, all sand.
Today, I am going to either 1. get some clay from the beach (at the shoreline there is clay under the sane after a few inches, I THINK) or 2. go take a look at some of the building sites around here, the construction around here is everywhere.

There is land for sale here, and actually not that bad on price considering. The problem is, it is all "city limits" and subject to the codes, or lack of. We just assume we will have better luck elsewhere. Kentucky seems a logical choice based on cost of living and because it is centrally located to several metro areas. My husband's job is automatic fire sprinkler systems (union) and that would make a lot of work available to him. What do you think?
-jill