Cob: Earthen floors or linoleum in retrofit.

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 2 12:51:52 CST 2003

Weight would be a limiting factor--that and height.  Back in the days when I
was playing framing carpenter, the time we framed to put a slate floor in
the entry (trying to remember here, I think it was going to be quite a bit
thicker than the finish floor in the rest of the house) so I'm pretty sure
that we put 2x4 floor joists, but only 9 or 12 inches on center.  In other
words, taking the plywood out to reinforce a lowered sub-floor in your case.
  Maybe even then, having to figure out how to contain a rammed earth floor
that's still a few inches above the floor level in the rest of the house.

I think I'd go for the Mexican tiles--low-fired and nicely variable--or
linoleum--the real thing not vinyl, and for sure not that blasted laminate.
(Forbo, Marmoleum, possible names to look for in a search, although I
believe that Armstrong is now manufacturing/selling it.)

Loving mama:

Hi again, this time I'm asking about floors!  In our "conventional" home,
the kitchen floor really needs replacing.  Is there any precedent for
putting an earthen floor over a plywood sub floor?  How would one do such a
thing?

Thanks!