Cob: Re: large openings in walls, cob included

M. Verrico cornerstone at valkyrie.net
Thu Feb 6 19:50:42 CST 2003

Jill, this might be something to consider in your floor plan and give the
same open effect as the garage door concept in the kitchen:
    Where I live in Ohio Amish country, a very popular concept being used is
making the 2-door garage area (for buggies-although std. garage size)
multi-functional by placing a large screen (plastic webbing) on to the
opening starting in the spring.  This screen is attached (sewn) to black
vinyl with added large snaps.  The screen is then snapped to panels attached
to inner side walls of the garage door surface.  It is a great idea.  The
garage includes a tub sink, a portable gas, triple pot stove top that sits
on a table-like surface, picnic table and anything else you want, but, it
takes a load off the heat load off the kitchen.  Another feature I have seen
in this practical design is that the door to the house is by the kitchen and
on the far corner a set of concrete steps going to the basement.  Obvious
benefits include hauling wood, etc. moving canned goods to fruit cellar,
unloading supplies from vehicle INSIDE the garage under shelter.  Garage
becomes multi-functional - departing from the stereotype of vehicle storage
and tool shop.
It also becomes the mud room.  Outdoor clothes, boots, etc in the garage, a
quick wash up area there at the sink--and if necessary- peel the dirty
clothes off and march down to the basement shower and drop off dirty clothes
right by the washer.  The traffic pattern is very supportive to a cleaner
house!  I have also noticed that the chimney will be located  on the inner
wall (house side) and it does a great job of keeping the chill out of the
garage (if insulated).
    Marsha