Cob: pipes under the floor

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 28 19:28:19 CST 2003

Have y'all seen this book?

"http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0930031970/qid=1043803138/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-6977152-4198211?v=glance&s=books"

The Passive Solar house by James Kachadorian.  His plan, which may or may
not be in the stuff you can see in the sample pages, is to underlay the
whole floor with concrete blocks placed so that you have lots and lots of
pipes through the floor, with stuff that looks like furnace grates on the
back wall.  He swears "it saves you money" but that's only because you
aren't paying someone to build you a basement, as I recall.

You could presumably use block seconds, but if you didn't want to put
a concrete floor how would you do it?  My guess is that ramming the earth
above it would do SERIOUS damage to those blocks laid the less strong way.

Cat here (snipped), what diameter terra cotta pipe are you using and how far
apart?  Will you be using cob as your floor, tile, wood?

I want to use hot air thru terra cotta tubes set in sand  with a cob floor
covered with granite tile?  What do you think? ?