Cob: COB | rammed tire foundation

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Mon Feb 10 00:08:32 CST 2003

Michael,

Michael Blaha wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has tried a rammed tire foundation?

I earthship people seem to have no trouble using it and  not just for
foundations for load bearing walls as well.

>  I hear that the tires off-gas nasties for 20 years...

This idea is appearently rubbish.   Old tires are used and are not
subject to ultra-violet light.  They do not outgas.   Go to the
earthship.org for more detail.

> Wonder if i covered the tires with a papercrete stuff if that would help?  or shall i just get the urbanite dumped off at the site....

Anything to keep the ultraviolet light from it would help.

> m i c h a e l

Darel