Cob: COB | rammed tire foundation

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 9 10:08:21 CST 2003

The tire guys say that outgassing isn't (much, anyway,) of a problem.  They
say they'll send you their colletion of references if you'd send them a
self-addressed stamped envelope.

http://www.tirecrafting.com/04FAQ/04faq.htm

And see this guy's site--the goat shed has semi-underground walls of tires.
And includes another link to the tirecrafting page.

http://www.touchtheearthranch.com/goatshed.htm

Papercrete isn't waterproof enough for a foundation, IMHO, although it
makes a difference how you formulate it.  Inside facing for a stemwall,
maybe.

In another forum, somebody mentioned a University of Wisconsin study on tire
outgassing that concluded that there wasn't enough to worry about.

Michael asks:

I was wondering if anyone has tried a rammed tire foundation?  I hear that
the tires off-gas nasties for 20 years...