Cob:how DO you do a shower?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 12 16:49:45 CST 2003

Glad you've got the Evans Smiley and Smith.

My own plans include something on the order of cement board and tile. in the
bathroom and kitchen.  Although that could be changed.  Especially the
cement board, or whatever it's called.  Although I understand that what's
used now is lighter than the stuff I've used before.

Or you could furr in and put in (glue in) a plastic shower surround.  Nasty
but quick, and it can be cheap.

Jill wonders:
Water is bad for cob. Right? So, how does this work in the bathroom or in a
kitchen with all that steam?
I have several cob books (Smith & the esteemed Ivanto) and I don't see much
on the subject.
How is it you can make a sauna with it? Doesn't the steam just sit on the
wall?

We opted, after looking at the cost of bathroom fixtures, to just have a
drain in the floor, and run slats of redwood (removable for cleaning or
changing out) to stand on and the shower heads coming out of the wall. Is
this possible?
Jill