Cob: waterproofing cob

Grei Raven Shadow Walker greyraven_r at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 16 00:12:53 CST 2003

What about a heavy (real heavy, like outdoor exposed
bench/oven heavy) cob/lime plaster treated with the
(hopefully soon explained) heavy hemp seed oil finish.
Wouldn't a surface like that work as the finish layers
of the interier cob walls for the bath rooms, kitchen,
and maybe even spa/sauna area?

--- Jill hotmail <writejill at hotmail.com> wrote:
> This list a great place to start, Kim.
>
> As for the cement, I was trying to determine how to
> have a bathroom and kitchen sink area. Even if the
> tub and sink are bought at the store, the walls
> would get so wet from the steam... We are also
> looking at the floor. If I make the shower open, not
> store bought, the water will need to drain. So I am
> looking at cement for the shower floor.
>
> I, too, understand that cement plaster will ruin the
> cob walls.
>
> Best books are probably the usual suggestions,
> recently authored, rather than trying to find
> originals. But if you are interested, try this link
>
> http://www.donhead.com/building.htm
>
> The easiest to follow is from Ivanto, Smith or Becky
> Bee. Are you taking a workshop?

=====
"When I look into the abyss it stares back at me, but not as the cold
dark beast you perceive it to be.
When I am gazed upon by the abyss I see the eyes of a mother, a lover, an old friend.
When I look into the warm familiar eyes of the abyss I see that which
needs me as much as I have need.
I remember, I rejoice, I renew!"
by Grei R. S. Walker, '01