Cob:

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 17 18:22:08 CST 2003

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV></DIV>
<P>Cat here, This I know from experience living in an old  house that has a central chimney.  Be sure that your foundation for your chimney is solid as a rock and straight as an arrow,  particularly if your going to hang the rest of the house on it!  </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Hey I'm snowed in had to walk the hay to the herd today 1/2 mile up the holler, pulling it on feed bags!  So much better than a cushy work out at the gym!!</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><EM>for the good of all </EM>Cat</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><BR><BR> </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: "Chandra Shakti" <MOONCHILD1970 at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: "Chandra Shakti" <MOONCHILD1970 at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To: coblist at deatech.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Re: Cob:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 13:17:41 -0600
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>As I live in Kansas and have already been looking at ventilation for
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>the summer. I would have some PVC pipes laid crosswise in the cob
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>for ventilation. Simply leaving one open on the south side open
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>should solve draw problem - Keep the unhealthful products of
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>combustion from building up.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>I guess I was picturing the fireplace with an open face. Just very
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>massive. I would also like to use the mass of the fireplace as a
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>support for the second story floor. I've seen that suggested with
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>cordwood masonry homes...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> Chandra
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>----Original Message Follows----
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>><SNIP>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>where is the air intake coming from - under the house? Otherwise,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>the fire would draw from inside the house.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>><SNIP>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Also, someone told me that a cob fireplace, while fine with an open
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>face, would crack under the intense heat of a closed system such as
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>the masonry design.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>_________________________________________________________________
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE*
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail