Cob: Cob (etc)design links for Jill

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 21 18:56:07 CST 2003

Cribbed from Charmaine Taylor's sites.  Oh, well.

www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
www.papercrete.com

Pictures of a hip-roofed building--could put little windows/vents up there
to put light into your loft.  Hip roofs do not HAVE to have those little
places one could put vents.  they obviously didn't because they used
scissors trusses for the roof framing--give you room for overhead insulation
plus a cathedral ceiling.  They used straw bale infill, put the roof up
first.  With both straw bale and cob one can, with some loss in insulation,
put windows to the outside, get bays, or bay windows, without having to put
zigs and zags in your foundation.  My state, but I haven't been in Knoxville
in fifteen years or so.

http://www.shrock.net/strawbale/

and I was right taken by the Ken Kern spiral on the home page of dirt-cheap
builder, although I don't think I'd put in all those straight lines and
right angles after building that lovely spiral wall.  It's a nice shape for
cob, might buttress itself better than right angles.