Cob: second structure spacing

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Wed Mar 5 02:25:25 CST 2003

It's a simple triangle problem.

Most likely winter's when you want the solar energy coming in.

The lowest altitute of the sun is at December 21st.   This is the degree
of one of the angles in the triangle, 90 degrees is the other.  The
other is easy to figure, since all must total 180.  The only other
figure you need is the height of the front structure.  This will be one
side of the triangle (not the hypotenuse).  Then just calculate for the
base triangle side.

Take the altitude of the sun for the period you are concerned about.
Say from 10:00 A.M. till 2:00 P.M on December 21st.  10:00 A.M and 2:00
P.M would be about the same. Use this to get the most light in the
winter.

The key formula is this:
Distance from front structure to back structure is=
height_of_building_in_front / tan(sun's_altitude_angle)

Where tan is short for tangent.  Tangent values are on most calculators
as  "tan".

You don't need a stick to do this the altitude values are avalable or
are easily calculated.   I'Ve seen some on the interent which give the
sun's altitude by month day and hour of day.

Darel