Cob: cob and cordwood

Briggs WebDesign bwd at coxinet.net
Thu Mar 6 16:18:07 CST 2003

Cat,
You bring up some interesting points, which may or may not have relevence depending on your location and wood supply.

Cordwood traditionally uses fast growing softwood as the wood of choice due to it's long term stability within the walls.  Hardwoods, like oak, are a poor choice for the very reasons that you sited, that is, they will absorb moisture and swell, cracking the wall and in some case rasing the structure off the ground!  Softwoods, like cedar or pine, seem to have the ability to transpire the moisture through the log ends much better than hardwoods and after the mortar has set, become very stable, even after a hundred years or so.  There is some initial cracking around the logs in the first year, due to the logs taking on moisture from the mortar, but this is minimal (with the correct spacing of the logs) and an easy repair.

Also, in many cases, the log diameter ( 2" - 6") is such that they are considered waste by most paper and logging companies and would be shredded and turned to mulch, or worse yet, burned. Also, as in our case, we are looking at wooded lots that are in need of clearing to allow the trees the best chance of growing.  Fell wood, sick or overcrowed trees then become our cordwood.  In our case that is one of the major land decisions, that there be enough dead wood/need to be cleared wood, to build the home.  We will be using very little in the way of manufactured wood products (main post and beams being the exception).

Wood can be heavy, but is this case the wood length will be 16" with a diameter of no more than 6".  The 6 inchers will be split to allow for better contraction/expansion properties.

Also, we will be using a mix of paper with the mortar (ala papercrete) to slow the curing time and decrease the amount of cracking.

We are looking at a double wall construction, using cordwood exterior walls with cob interior walls.  The mix of the two should allow us maxium thermal mass and organic freedom in the interior design.

Hope that helps!
Hos