Cob: Metal Roofing

Brian Gregor bgregor at buphy.bu.edu
Sun Mar 9 21:54:20 CST 2003

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Darel Henman wrote:

> Water catchment is certainly a factor in some areas.
>
> But, for those endowed with a good land based water supply a roofing
> material of solar photovotaic cells would be nice for off-the-grid
> power.   These produce energy will providing protection against rain.

I'd argue that water catchment is always a good idea, even if you're
just using the water for lawn care & car washing (which consumes vast
amounts of suburban water), and not for crops or personal use.  Using
free water from the sky reduces infrastructure pressure and frees up
groundwater for drinking & cooking if you don't want a "hard  core" water
catchment system.

As far as photovoltaics go, I'd think the glass would make for a
perfect water catchment surface!  You can have your cake and eat it
too :)

-brian