Cob: Interior walls

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Mon Mar 10 02:02:28 CST 2003

Briggs,
   you might consider using a wattle and daub for some interior walls to
be able to make thinner walls that can still be stable.   Make a solid
frame for the interior wall to be then install a matrix of bamboo slices
or willow branches, then apply a cob to this.   Then after its dried
somewhat so you can fill in the cracks that come from drying, using a
finer sieved earth, finer softer straw fibres and maybe some sand added
over this to smooth it out and fill in spots and get a smoother
surface.  Repeat if you wish to what ever level of fineness you want.
Or use lime mortars or lime/soil renderings to finish it off.

Darel