Cob: natural building workshop

andrea arnold yodasroom at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 14 13:55:42 CST 2003

This is a workshop on Whidbey Island, WA which is
about 20 miles north of Seattle.  5 days, July 7-11,
by Michael Smith.  The workshop is limited to 15
people.   A 120 SF building is the workshop project.
The foundation and wooden frame will be done prior to
the workshop.  Ms. Moore lives in a co-housing
community consisting of straw 5 or 6 straw bale homes,
all of which incorporate additional natural/green
building techiniques.  I am posting this here for
anyone who may be interested in coming.  I am
attending the workshop, and am of no relation to any
of the planning for it.  Soooo...Please direct any
questions to the host, Margaret Moore, not to me.  Her
phone number and email are below.

Thanks- Andrea Arnold

HANDS-ON WORKSHOP AT MARGARET’S HOUSE

Whidbey Island Summer, 2003 with Michael Smith

LEARN NATURAL BUILDING
July 7-11  Cost $350-$400

In the process of building the walls of Margaret
Moore’s tiny, post and beam “Sun Hut”, you will
construct several different innovative wall systems
and learn 3-4 building techniques, including cob,
light-clay, straw-wattle and wattle-and-daub. We will
use simple, non-toxic materials such as clay, sand,
straw and branches.

Michael Smith, our workshop instructor, is not only a
very experienced natural builder, but also an expert
teacher of these practical and sustainable techniques.
Michael has recently been one of the editors of
“Natural Building” and is one of the authors of “The
Hand-Sculpted House”.

Margaret Moore’s site is part of the Maxwelton
Co-Housing on Whidbey Island. Her own house offers
further examples of strawbale, lime stuccos and earth
floor. Workshop fees include camping on site, showers
and delicious vegetarian meals. For more info, call
360-321-5210 or e-mail mrgretmr at whidbey.com. To
register, send a $100 deposit (checks made out to
Margaret Moore) to: Margaret Moore—Sun Hut, 6049
Cascara Way, Clinton, WA 98236