Cob: Thermal Mass

Chandra Shakti moonchild1970 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 27 16:40:34 CST 2003

Y'all must think that old lath and plaster homes have a lot less thermal
mass than my experience leads me to believe. I have lived several Kansas
summers in such homes without any air conditioning but following my
suggested strategy and have NOT been uncomfortable - except when I go into
grocery stores and other businesses which they keep TOO cold. (yes, 65 or
even 70 degrees is crazy during the summer!) -Chandra

----Original Message Follows----
<snip> Chandra's strategy would not be good for a low thermal mass home. You
would be simply making yourself uncomfortable trying to charge the
insignificant mass which has a very low capacity. <snip>
<snip> Thermal mass of a thin plaster on lath is nearly negligible. For
structures with a lot of thermal mass this strategy is recommended, but NOT,
just plaster on lath. <snip>