Cob: Thermal Mass

Mike mswink77 at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 27 17:12:17 CST 2003

One house here in ga,usa has two foot thick walls.
and it stays about 20 degrees cooler or warmer year round.

They used wood fireplace. But bet they would have had floor thermal heat
with out door source for wood burning furnace if they had known it. Because
with old houses fires are most feared.

The house was built  in 1848.

One real life lesson was gleaned from talking to care taker who cut grass
for several homes of this age.
He showed me where houses were left and never had any up keep. One tiny roof
leak was all it took to bring them all down. Such a shame. I saw many old
photos of these places which were of influenced from England and France.

Also since ga was main sea port for the south east. They had access to huge
mahogany lumber. THe almost ceiling tall bookcases to this day open and
close almost like when they were new. in 1800's.