Cob: Thermal Mass

Buckaroo henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Thu Mar 27 21:01:57 CST 2003

Chandra,
   I do not think it has less than mass than a cob wall or other massive
wall, I know it.  Finding out how much you have is very essay to
calculate.  All you need is the thermal characteristics of the plaster
and other materials along with their volume and densities and you have it.

I have lived without a/c to.

But the point is you can not, get a thermal lag for months, weeks, or
even over a day with a low mass house.   A thin plaster on lath is not
going to have much more mass than drywall.  It may perform better.
 But probably not if you painted it.

Opening the house and cooling the inside air and materials as much as
possible, could give you a little lag, probably until about noon.   From
10:00 to 14:00 the sun's energy can overcome any little mass sink, and
keep getting the house warmer.   It will then take the house several
hours after sunset to get down to a more comfortable value.

To try to store energy or sink energy for a three month lag, is not
possible.   So I'm saying it is no point in heating the house up over
normal for a few months in hopes that it will carry you over the winter
or even well into it.   The reverse as well for summer.

Now if you have a nice big basement, you have added other
considerations, which you did not mention.   I am discussing a low  mass
house as you described.   Basements were popular in Kansas, as I recall
from that tale Dorothy told me about an adventure she once had with her
pet dog.

I admire your attitude about what temperatures are proper for what
season.   Someone wrote somewhere that it's amazing that the human body
has evolved a wonderful system to keep us going is various temperature
times, and now modern people try desperately to live in only one
temperate zone all year round.     It's easy to think that remaining at
the same temperature all year round is not good for the human race in
the long run.

Darel