Cob:

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 31 17:15:23 CST 2003

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Cat here,  Corn cobs for insulation? I'm not sure about it but my horses eat the corn and the cob so it seems that it is digestible to many animals you may be inviting a host of critters to set up house at your place!?  Any sheep in your area?  I have been told that unprocessed wool is a great insulator, won't burn and is fairly water resistant and moth proof when the lanolin is still with it.  One of my neighbors has a flock and sells the mattress grade wool by the garbage bag.  Good nesting material for sure but not edible, the mouse faces would have to go out to eat!  Get your wool direct from the farm since mattress wool could have been treated with nasty stuff.  </P></DIV>
<P>for the good of all Cat<BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P> </P>
<P>>From: "Frances Grill" <GRILL at VTC.NET></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: "Frances Grill" <GRILL at VTC.NET>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To: "Cob List" <COBLIST at DEATECH.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Cob:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 09:32:42 -0500
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Shannon is probably eady to pitch a fit as we digress from cob, but this horsehair thing is sort of interesting..sort of anti-tech. When I rennovated our 130 year old farm house, i opened the wall partitions to find old clay bricks used for insulation (thermal mass) they were muded roughly over with clay and straw mix which the mice loved.Recently, I nearly bought an old feed mixer at auction to chop cobs (corn, not straw clay) for insulation. I think it would be great insulation and non-toxic. I abhor working with fiberglass, it just "feels" unhealthy.Unfortunatly I live in the southwest where corn cobs are sorta rare. One might be able to get a load of cobs,chopped or whole from a feed mill if they live back east. Nothing but air and fiber. Would it work? PAZ, Pedro
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>