Cob: corn cobs-nylon fibers

Charmaine tms at northcoast.com
Mon Mar 31 23:23:34 CST 2003

Recently, I nearly bought an old feed mixer at auction to chop cobs
(corn, not straw clay) for insulation. I think it would be great
insulation and non-toxic. I abhor working with fiberglass, it just
"feels"  unhealthy.Unfortunatly I live in the southwest where corn cobs
are sorta rare. One might be able to get a load of cobs,chopped or whole
from a feed mill if they live back east. Nothing but air and fiber.
Would  it work? PAZ, Pedro
_____________

Pedro--I read an article a while back that corn cobs were ground up and
used for a building material, sorta like sawdust, in the Midwest in the
1940s--50s...not much is known about it. But I imagine if it is coated
well in clay then no "growth" of molds, etc... why not try it if you CAN
get cobs.? or you can buy Con-Trol fibers-- from NyCon Co.  it's a nylon
fiber, thinner than human hair, $3.00 for a little bag with enough for
one full cement mixer load of mortar, etc.

ALso chopped fibres in jute, or papercrete insulation could be used too.

Charmaine

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    http://www.papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Cutten   CA 95534
707-441-1632     tms at northcoast.com