Cob: Re: Interior Cob walls..

D.J. Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Mon Mar 31 22:58:54 CST 2003

Janet,
     A quick response for you.    If you mean interior walls as in a
non-bearing inside of the house wall partition.   For nice and easy
walls I would recommend using light straw, which is straw coated in a
clay slurry and then lightly tamped into a form.   Other variations of
this is wood chips covered in a clay slurry.   I believe that hemp
plants can also be used.

>   Im wondering about putting up cob walls as an insulate, interior
> wall system.

Cob is more known for its storing and releasing of energy which keeps
rapid temperature changes from  happening, rather than a straight
insulation material.

>  Anyone have any thoughts, or opinions?  Any devil's advocates out
> there?   All feed back is welcome.   thanx, janet

Thermally, isolate the steel from either the outside or the inside of
the house.   As would cause a great loss of energy otherwise, by
conducting heat in or out.

If you didn't you might let people know what area you live in or
describe you temperature extremes, etc.

Darel