Cob: Horse hair/pig hair - condensate in a cob lined steel building??.

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 31 16:47:42 CST 2003

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Cat here,  cob has to breath and get rid of moisture, are you going to peel the steel off the cob once it's up?  Sort of use this as a room to build your house in? Then take it away and sell it ??  If your going to do a slab make sure that the person doing it is going to radon proof it.  Maybe it would be less expensive to get a big tent and build in the tent.  anyone know if a 4" slab would hold the weight of cob?</P>
<P> for the good of all Cat<BR><BR></P></DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: JanetinTenn at aol.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: JanetinTenn at aol.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To: coblist at deatech.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Cob: Horse hair/pig hair - condensate in a cob lined steel building??.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 16:06:28 EST
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Hello Cobbers,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>I have a house here in Nashville that I remodeled 5 years ago. When taking
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>down the interior walls I noticed kazillions of coarse hairs about an inch
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>and a half long in the mortar between the woodn slats. I asked around and
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>found out that they were pig hairs gotten from a local slaughter house. The
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>house is about 80 years old and that mortar was very rotten and crumbly,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>seemed like it had a lot of sand in it.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Now to my question... I have decided to buy a steel building and have it
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>erected over a concrete slab. I do not have the time, energy, or help to do
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>the earthern floor, but once the building is up, I can take my time to finish
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>the interior as I like. Im wondereing about putting up cob walls as an
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>insulative, interior wall system. Anyone have any thoughts, or opinions?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Any devil's advocates out there? All feed back is welcome. thanx, janet
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>