Cob: Horse hair/pig hair - condensate in a cob lined steel building??.

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 29 17:01:51 CST 2003

There's something to be said for getting your building up quickly.  Do you
have the time and energy to insulate and lay radiant heating in your slab?
(are you in Metro--Nashville/Davidson County for those who don't know it--or
out of town?--I lived there for almost 30 years.)

Be sure and ask about electrical inspection.  A heavy wet-poured insulation
might upset the inspectors, although armored cable might well be just fine.
It was at the straw bale chapel in Cheatham County.

Light clay for insulation?  straw-clay mixture, maybe close enough to cob to
get the  topic police off our backs.

Somebody else about ventilation between insulation and steel building,
please.  My guess is "yes" so the insulation can breathe, less conduction of
cold--or hot--into the interior.  Not sure how exactly.  Funky foam things
that go next to roof sheathing between rafters probably help the second but
not the first of those reasons to ventilate.

Janet in Tennessee wrote:

Now to my question... I have decided to buy a steel building and have it
erected over a concrete slab.  I do not have the time, energy, or help to do
the earthern floor, but once the building is up, I can take my time to
finish
the interior as I like.  Im wondereing about putting up cob walls as an
insulative, interior wall system.  Anyone have any thoughts, or opinions?