Cob: House plans/living roof

D.J. Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Thu Apr 3 21:17:15 CST 2003

Jen and all,

jen walker wrote:

>.......... snipped some
>This brings me to the topic of metal roofs and water-catchment. Something I
>read in 'Serious Strawbale', that if you have a metal roof and lots of snow,
>the snow slides off the roof which is a good thing...

I heard the contrary to this, in regards to snow on the roof.   Meaning
that its better to have snow on the roof as it adds a buffer layer (and
insulation function) in the winter time.   Keeps the cold winds from
sucking out heat from wet roofs, etc.

Darel

> .... Makes the case for a living roof more appealing.
>The one thing I have against them is that they are rather low pitched which
>is fine on say a small shed roof but for bigger places its nice to have a
>peaked main roof because houses like that tend to look cosier and feel more
>like home to us humans (something about our first dwellings being just
>roofs).

I don't agree with this, a non sharp roof is fine and cosy to me.   You
are talking about your personal preferences, of course.   But a  not so
steep roof is just as beautiful and steep ones and they require less
materials in general to cover the same space, for the same load.

> I'm getting this from "A Pattern Language' which is highly
>recommended for anyone designing a home.
>   Its expensive to buy but I got it
>at the library.

I don't recommend it.    Some like it, some don't.  It is more of a
personal thing.    Your idea to see  it in the library first is a very
good one.

>A small house though wouldn't
>need a steep pitch as much I imagine.

Anything or shape can be designed.

A green roof on a cob dwelling would be absolutely magnificent.

Darel