Cob: House plans/living roof

Darin Lang darin at doolang.com
Tue Apr 8 08:24:26 CDT 2003

>> This brings me to the topic of metal roofs and water-catchment. Something I
>> read in 'Serious Strawbale', that if you have a metal roof and lots of snow,
>> the snow slides off the roof which is a good thing...
>>
> I heard the contrary to this, in regards to snow on the roof.   Meaning
> that its better to have snow on the roof as it adds a buffer layer (and
> insulation function) in the winter time.   Keeps the cold winds from
> sucking out heat from wet roofs, etc.

If your roof is well insulated, and your metal roof has a clear 1" air
channel underneath it running from eaves and venting at the peak, which it
should, the snow would be less prone to melting and sliding off. Snow stops
can also be added along the edge to keep big slides of snow from tearing off
your gutters.

As to "A Pattern Language" I love that book, "A Timeless Way" too! If you
want a comfortable living space, you may come across it
accidentally/innately/naturally in the design process. "A Pattern Language",
however is the roadmap to a place called "Home", making it possible for
anyone to arrive there easily.
Darin

--
"Any close and worthwhile contact with the earth tends to make one original
or at least detached in one's judgments and independent of group control."