Cob: House plans/living roof

Waiting4 TheDay waiting4theday at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 3 20:49:05 CST 2003

Amanda,

Your gabions got me thinking....as far as a retaining "wall" for a living
roof, I wonder if a thin, flexible wire (chicken wire?) could be laid on the
roof around the edge, say two feet in from the edge with the rest hanging
off, then large gravel piled on top of it, then have the wire wrap over the
top of the gravel to be held behind that ring of gravel by more gravel.
Kind of like a gravel sausage.  Just thinking out loud.

My criteria for a roof plant would be drought-tolerant, aggressive
spreading/rooting, and something special about it.  Grass just wouldn't do
it for me, not unless I wanted to raise rabbits on my roof (and then the
hawks and owls would think I'd opened a buffet).  And while I might allocate
an area for lavender, rosemary, etc., these are more shrub-like and won't
provide good coverage.

As far as mint, they shouldn't have any problem.  They are incredibly
aggressive spreaders, so much so that I don't recommend my customers even
put them in the ground unless they fully understand the consequences.  And
as far as tough, after a Saturday at the farmer's market, an apple mint in a
six inch pot got stuck in the corner of the van and left for a full week
during the middle of summer.  It looked dead and the soil weighed about as
much as styrofoam.  I put it in a pan of water and let it soak for three
days.  Within a week there was new growth coming out.

I'd also considered, on a porch roof, putting out desert plants.  Not only
do we have a couple of very hardy Bunny-ear/prickly pear (Opuntia) cactus
native to the U.S., but also a lot of the southwest flora is hardy in the
middle midwest (I'm in southern IL) if given very good drainage during the
winter.  Ocotillo, creosote bush, and some agave and cholla will all do fine
from zone 6 or 7 south so long as their soil doesn't hold water during the
winter.

Chuck