Cob: Hanta virus and cob

Frances Grill grill at vtc.net
Mon Apr 7 07:28:04 CDT 2003

Actually, although I appreciate D.J.Henman's concen for staying on subject ie.cob, I think a revisit of Hanta virus is relevant. Many people on this list have mentioned salvaging or recycling building materials. It also could be mentioned that owner built homes are not as "tight" as commercially built homes..thank goodness, owing to the nature of materials, skill levels etc, which makes them more appealing to rodent visitors.So I'd like to point out that Hanta Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS) is a fatal disease in most cases. It does come from inhaling the dust from dried mouse or rat droppings or urine. It is easily preventable. It is not limited to mice (although deer mice,white footed mice and other species can carry it, it is also carried by rats (marsh rats, cotton rats and others. It has been found in thirty of the 50 states, Canada and commonly in Latin America. Because of a deadly outbreak in the Navajo Nation in the 4-coroners area in the Southwest it is often assumed to by an arid climate disease. It originated in Korea so one could easily surmise that it is well travelled and anyone working in old buildings should spray the dusty areas  with water.before working in them and wear a respirator to filter out the dust which carries the virus. One can learn more about the dangers of Hanta Virus by contacting the CDC. In this case, prevention clearly beats the cure. PAZ, Pedro