Cob: Building a Cob Model First

Myra Bonhage-Hale lapaix at iolinc.net
Sun Apr 20 16:48:11 CDT 2003

Hi, just am so satsified with how our first workshop went in West Virginia I wanted to share some of the experiences and learning.  The workshop, focussed on building a model of the cob structure which is to become a reality during this spring and summer at La Paix.  First of all, I have to thank Cat profusely for all her inspiration, nput and knowledge which she shared so charmingly with the assembled participants.  Her goal was to guide us through the steps in building the model  to scale.  My vision of a building was that it would be about 12 feet in circumference,conssisting of eight sides, six of which would have some recycled Gothic windows from a local church in them, one a door and the rear 8th side which is up against a slope would be all cob.  Before we began the model, we toured La Paix's gardens and described the l/2 of a cob bench project and the abandoned cob building site next to it.  We also perused the site which had been prepared by one of my apprentices last year. and which will be the site of this small, but dramatic cob building.
It was a lively workshop, with the lunch I had prepared in the middle - pesto pasta, vegetarian tomato sauce with shitake mushrooms and angel hair pasta, home made Norweigen Rye and French herbed breads, 3 kinds of salad ( one each from me, another participant and one from Cat), lemon squares, and beverages.  The weather was gorgeous -  just right - with a breeze floating the aromas of apple trees in blossom, autumn olive and lilac towards us as we ate under umbrellas in the yard.  We liked each other so well, that although the table  chosen could only accomodate 4, and there were other tables, the others relaxed on the lawn by the table.    Even the appearance of two garter snakes in the middle of all this luncheon bliss didn't dismay - we only gave them a home in the Feng Shui garden where the dogs couldn't bother them.

In  the afternoon, we got down to the model.  The two books  which we had studied - Ianto Evan's and Becky Bee's were passed around.   Articles from Natural Home magazine and Mother Earth were also shared.  As many of us have been on the cob list for awhile, we discussed it's efficacy for those who weren't aware of it and a little bit about the various member's personality and take on cob......
With the assistance of the participants, (one of whom, Jim, was a building contractor who knew math and ratios well - thank heavens!), the dimensions and scale of the building took shape.  We decided on how long each wall would be, how high the  building would be, how much frame was needed around the windows etc.  As the model grew, so did our need to change dimensions, including circumferance, height and window placement.  Cat had brought 50 lbs. of modeling clay, gravel was collected from the driveway, hay like material was furnished and after drawing the model dimensions on a plywood board (so that it could be transported, photographed  and used as a possible grant project), each participant took a side (8 sides made it nice) and built l-l/2 feet of dry wall held together in places by the modeling clay which was rolled in the hay like material.  Cob was then added up to another l-l/2 inches (the scale was 1 inch to a foot).  At that point it was decided that the windows would go in.  A 3 inch place was left for the east facing door.  The site is compass perfect, so the model was oriented east, west, north and south.  The windows were roughly sketched in.  Cat reminded us that the floor had to be raised a foot off the ground.  Everybody
 left later then planned because it was a wonderful learning experience with everyone having hands-on opportunity.

Today, not being able to stay away, I roughed in the windows with wooden plant stakes cut to fit and even put in a little cardboard gothic window in one of the frames.  I realized as I worked that 7-l/2 feet of height was not enough - so added another l/2 foot to the overall height - this made the windows look a lot better.

After this experience, I would heartily recommend that anyone thinking or dreaming or wishing to make a cob building make a model first.  It is exciting, inspiring and gives you a chance to change things on the model instead of the real thing!  There are three weekend  workshops at La Paix  in May June and July.  August will be a wrap up.  For information on registering by shopping cart or by mail, go to my website at http://www.lapaixherbfarm.com and click on the button which says Natural Building workshops.  I purposely made the cost as low as possible without me losing too much money on it because I think it is good to make it available to as many as can benefit.  Registration is limited to ten people.  There are scholarships available.  Joy on Your Journey.  Myra

Please visit me on my website at http://www.lapaixherbfarmproducts.com.