Cob: Re: Re: rat runs in cob walls (fwd)

yew yew at premier1.net
Fri Apr 25 09:09:07 CDT 2003

From: "Sheila"

> I've heard that having a house lifted off the ground by a foot or so is
> what prevents rats from finding a place interesting to burrow in.  Is the
only
> way to build a cob house is to have a dirt floor or can you create a space
> under the structure and add a wooden floor?

There's some info about suspeded floors in "The Hand-Sculpted House".  But I
imagine a suspended floor might give critters *more* space to crawl around
(and a nice, dry spot to have their babies), assuming they could find access
through the footings and stem wall.

I don't imagine a dry, well-sealed and compacted earth floor is very
inviting to critters, and cob walls probably aren't much more tempting.

Brina