Cob: rat runs--cleanliness--floor height--glass

mike swink mswink77 at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 25 19:54:15 CDT 2003

<HTML style="FONT-SIZE: x-small; FONT-FAMILY: MS Sans Serif"><HEAD><TITLE id=ridTitle>Blank</TITLE>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"><BASE href="file://C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\">
<STYLE>BODY {
	MARGIN-TOP: 25px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 25px; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica
}
P.msoNormal {
	MARGIN-TOP: 0px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; COLOR: #ffffcc; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica, "Times New Roman"
}
LI.msoNormal {
	MARGIN-TOP: 0px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; COLOR: #ffffcc; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica, "Times New Roman"
}
</STYLE>

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=ridBody bgColor=#ffffff background="Blank Bkgrd.gif" <DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">The mice will need to be trapped or killed. If left alone they will find places to build dens under buildings. In Atlanta we seen a rat infestation that the city said they would jail anyone that would try to tell about it. ha ha.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif"></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">The health dept and local pest controls used powder which glows in the dark to track them back to den.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif"></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">I think a few hungry cats are still the natural way to control them. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif"></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">I refuse to believe a house cannot be buillt that would keep them out.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif"></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">Moisture is so important to advoid in finding correct site location. It attracts so many things. Grease traps and garbage should not be around house . We burned our trash and put scraps in closed chamber to compost. Never no food or water outside standing. cisterns are covered not to attract birds and those pesty little things that sting us as they suck the blood from our bodies.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif"></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">On the other hand it is good to have bats both for pest control of insects and manure.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif"></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">If one doubts this is not a cob related subject need to read this. For mold,mildew,pest and other things we had wished never to had to think about is now very important due to CDC reports.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid">
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt Arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A title=kwest at arkansas.net href="mailto:kwest at arkansas.net">Kim West</A> </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To: </B><A title=coblist at deatech.com href="mailto:coblist at deatech.com">Cob List</A></DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> 4/25/2003 6:12:11 PM </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Cob: rat runs--cleanliness--floor height--glass</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV><FONT size=2>I don't think that building up off of the ground or keeping everything clean is the answer to keeping rats away. My mother is a clean freak--her walls are white, her carpeting is white, and she even washes trash before throwing it away! She is so freaky in fact that if clothing coming out of the dryer land on her spotless floor she puts them back in the washer for another go around. This isn't exactly normal behavior and it is so extensive that most would classify it as obsessive/compulsive.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Why am I saying all of this? Because several months ago her dishwasher quit and she called in a repairman. It seems that a rat had chewed out the area of the bottom tub that surrounds the drain in an attempt to get into her house. Her home is about 2 feet off of the ground, and as I've explained, spotless inside and out. The thing is, while I moved out into the boonies after getting married, she still lives in my hometown which is built along the banks of a river--one place where rats tend to live.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>No one in their <U>right mind</U> keeps a home cleaner than my Mom does, and not many people have first floors over 2 feet above ground level, yet in spite of her cleanliness in a properly built home, she has still suffered from the damage inflicted by the varmints. It would be nice if there was a cure-all for the rat problem, but the only thing that will work is a merciless extermination program, and even then rats can and will return if you live in an area where they live. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I agree with the other posters about the glass. I hate the stuff and have none other than what is necessary such as for windows. I've had a few pieces too many buried in my feet and the last piece, even after being removed, formed a cyst that had to be surgically removed because I could not walk on it. To tell you the truth, I've had minor and major surgeries in various places on my body, some that the docs were amazed that I felt no discomfort while they shot the site up with a *caine product, but the surgery on my foot was the absolutely most painful I have ever experienced. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Kim</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>PS: Apologies if I grossed anyone out in my previous post about rats. I guess it was thoughtless. That stuff doesn't bother me. Handling manure, human or otherwise, bothers me--makes me lose my stomach--but blood and guts doesn't. :D</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>