Cob: intro

Layth Sudairy laythss at mac.com
Fri Apr 25 11:10:05 CDT 2003

Hello everyone,
   My name is Layth, I have joined this list about 2 years ago, and I
have been reading all the interesting and informative emails to the
list. I am a graduate architecture student, doing my thesis.  Since I
do not have the structural engineering background, I was not able (or
allowed) to have a thesis about the structural stability of earth
buildings in earthquake areas.  I took a break after that
disappointment and returned to my graduate study this January.  Now I
have a new thesis, and it describes three kinds of earth buildings,
there properties, there applications, and the obstacles that are
keeping these buildings from the main stream. I was hoping that some
from this list might help me with some things.  Especially people who
already are living in Cob or other earthen house.  My only hands on
experience with cob was when I built a small seed propagation sort of
green house.  It was 8'X4'X2.5' with a glass top , The outside was not
plastered, and the structure stood directly on the ground (a no no I
guess).  I just did it with what I had and I did not have enough stones
to make the building be off the ground. The walls where 8"-1'   thick.
And it had sprayers on the inside to water the seed beds.  That
structure has been standing now for three years with the only problem
of ANTS starting to borrow into the cob walls!!
   Well I just wanted to introduce myself and hope for your help in the
coming weeks.

Layth