Cob: ADOBE FLOOR, over wood subfloor?

Kimberllay Brooks kimi at corporate.bc.ca
Mon Apr 28 17:09:14 CDT 2003

Hello everyone..looking for advice on ADOBE floors.
We are building a home on Bowen Island Canada.  We have had to build over an
area which is partly fill.  It is pretty solid material, and we can remove
all organic material, put some rubble in and so forth to stabilize it and
prepare for the adobe flooring, but the process is costly.  It looks like it
may be cheaper to build a standard hanging wood floor with a crawl space,
instead of building directly onto the sub-floor as we had planned. We would
still like to use the adobe flooring,with radiant pipes in it.

What is the experience base of building adobe onto a wood subfloor..along
with the standard gravel, vapour barrier, insulation etc.  Does the very
slight give in the wood make adobe untenable?

Kimberllay Brooks - Executive Search
Manager, Electronics/Software Engineering
Corporate Recruiters Ltd.
"Hire Technology"   Since 1980
www.corporate.bc.ca
604-687-5993 extension 104
Leveraging 23 years of experience to help you grow.